May 26, 2021
As we celebrate the lead up to World Day for Cultural Diversity, Epstein's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee embarked on a fun exercise to learn where members of the Epstein team were born, where we spent our formative years, and where we live today. The journey across the globe revealed some fascinating insights.
Figure above: Epstein pins on the Indian subcontinent.
We are (nearly) everywhere. We hail from five out of seven of the earth’s continents! Places of origin or current residence include Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, and South America. If you were born or have lived in Australia or Antarctica, we’d love to hear from you!
Figure above: Bucharest to the Romanian Riviera.
From Olsztyn, to Kirkuk, and Tonganoxie. Those who filled out the survey gave great anecdotes of their place of birth or where they call home today. Some claimed they “didn’t feel very diverse” coming from places a short drive from the office and yet, Oh, the Places You’ll Go! The diversity of experience is certainly reflected in the journey.
- 4 Epsteiners were born in India; two from Chennai specifically.
- 1 member each has ties to China, the DRC, Vietnam, Argentina, Iraq, Ireland, Peru, and Mexico.
- The journey to Bucharest is varied! People who call Bucharest home today come from Constanta, Chișinău, Onești, Ploiești, and Pitești, among others.
- 5 Epsteiners were born or grew up near the United States capital in Maryland, Virginia, or DC.
- While many call Chicago home today, the neighborhood that is home to most Epsteiners in the city is Lincoln Park.
Figure above: From Lima to Argentina, a distance of 3500 km, a distance roughly to a trip from Los Angeles, California to Columbus, Ohio.
From all of us here at the DEI committee, happy travels, be they virtual or in real life.