June 9, 2022
Epstein recently provided architectural and lighting design services for the renovation of the exterior façade, entry atrium and interior lobby of 600 West Fulton, a historic 9-story brick office building located in Chicago’s West Loop, a structure that Epstein has been proud to call our home since 1983.
600 West Fulton, which is owned and managed by Parkside Realty, was built in 1895. From 1896 through 1905, the building served as the headquarters and distribution center for Sears, Roebuck and Company.
Epstein’s design team developed design concepts and approaches for this renovation by researching trends in commercial entrances and entry amenities in the nearby Fulton Market District. Those findings were presented to Parkside and the incorporated in the final design solution.
This renovation featured the removal of heavy metal ornamentation on the exterior façade that was replaced by new glass-filled spandrels, new exterior and interior lighting, decorative exterior landscape planters, new paint colors for the lobby that enhanced the improved lighting, an eye-catching moss installation behind the reception desk, as well as an exterior wall accent featuring a Chicago-map from 1901 at the entry atrium.
The exterior map, which is roughly 24’ x 24’ and comprised of 16 die-cut metal panels, shows an outline of Chicago’s streets, rivers, rail lines and lakefront from the early 1900s - an installation that helps connect 600 West Fulton to its historic past and significance.