August 31, 2021
Epstein and the Active Transportation Alliance, on behalf of the Illinois International Port District, studied the feasibility of a multi-use trail over Lake Calumet to better connect local neighborhoods by foot and bike to Big Marsh Park, the Pullman National Monument, and many other destinations on the south side of Chicago.
The Lake Calumet Trail Feasibility Study kicked-off in the summer of 2020. A key objective of the study was to identify a feasible, low-stress trail alignment for the construction of a trail over or around Lake Calumet. Epstein was selected to prepare the feasibility study and conceptual design for a bicycle and pedestrian connection along Lake Calumet's shore.
In September, three events will be taking place to share findings from the feasibility study. Our Tim Gustafson, who served as the project manager for this program, will be presenting throughout these engagements.
CMAP Bicycle Pedestrian Task Force (virtual):
- Wednesday, September 15, 1 pm to 2:30 pm
- Email Maggie@activetrans.org if you’re interested in attending
- Epstein and the Active Transportation Alliance will be providing a brief overview of the trail feasibility study and proposed trail alignments to the regional task force. This task force meets quarterly and is comprised of local, regional, and state governments, advocacy organizations, community groups and businesses.
Big Marsh Park Birds, Bees and Beats Event (in-person):
- Saturday, September 18, 11 am to 4 pm. Face masks will be required
- Birds, Bikes, and Beats is a free, family-focused opportunity presented by Friends of Big Marsh to learn about (and see!) the migratory birds of the Calumet and ride bikes through trails, while listening to live DJs. The event will begin with a ribbon cutting and grand opening of Ford Calumet Environmental Center at 11am. Staff from the Active Transportation Alliance and Epstein will be tabling to showcase the vision for the project and collect additional community feedback.
- Epstein's Cody McChane will be present at this event to assist with Big Marsh Park's exhibits.
Lake Calumet Trail Feasibility Study Virtual Open House (virtual):
- Wednesday, September 22, from noon to 1 pm
- The Active Transportation Alliance is organizing a virtual open house for the general public and elected officials to share key findings from the feasibility study including design criteria, trail alignments, cost estimates, renderings, and next steps. The event will also feature speakers from Friends of Big Marsh, the Pullman National Monument, CMAP, and elected officials.